- Use smaller plates. It is an old trick that really works.
- People eat 20-30% more food at a buffet so don't make your table one -- leave all food no the stove or counter and put reasonable portions on your plate.
- Slow eaters tend to eat less - they give themselves a chance to feel full. Even eating with others who eat fast causes us to eat more, so slow it down. Make sure to chew your food well and savor the texture and flavor.
- Make it a habit to read labels. People believe what food companies say but claims of 'healthy" aren't always true so take the time to read and know what you are putting in your body.
- Out of sight IS out of mind - having candy or food in front of you will result in consuming more calories ---so keep it hidden away not on your desk or kitchen counter.
- Know the foods that get you off track and steer clear or portion them out so you cannot overeat.
- While I hate wasting food, but I have learned that eating extra food is not better than throwing it away -- your body is not a garbage can so don't make it one.
- Be careful of food associations that sabotage your eating such as movies and the food that goes with it. Take along healthy snacks and break the associations.
Starting to make small changes will make a difference and add up over time.