While studies show that genetics do play a role, the good news is anyone can learn to be happy. You can change your outlook and become a more content person but it will take some time and practice. How to achieve this? Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Do for others - giving to others makes us feel good about ourselves and has been shown to lead to better health and a happier, more positive outlook
- Exercising - yup, exercising seems to play a big part in improving mood
- Relationships - meaningful relationships are key contributors as they provide support, love and meaning to our lives
- Gratitude - taking time to appreciate life, nature, food, relationships and how special we are helps us stop focusing on the negative
- Resilience - learning to bounce back from failure, loss and trauma can be difficult but it is a skill that is necessary to live a fulfilled and happy life and it is a skill you can learn
Sometimes we all let things get to us but we can learn to be happier no matter what the circumstances of our lives. Want to pursue happiness? Professor Ben-Shahar has several excellent books on the subject that are worth checking out: Being Happy, Happier, The Pursuit of Perfect and Choose the Life You Want.